CSK Dad’s Army overpower KXIP in a prolific run chase
The game between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab had so much anticipation amongst the fans of both franchises as the teams faced an array of defeats. But the story of these defeats were not the same. While the northern lions scored huge targets with their top order rocking past any bowling opposition, their bowlers let them down everytime. Yet after these 4 losses. they maintained a positive NRR of 0.178. The case of the southern lines were totally opposite. They were put to chase in all their ventures and almost the entire team was out of shape in one form or the other. Openers were struggling to get going, while bowlers added to the misery by bowling no balls in crucial moments which cost them the games heavily. Only Faf was outstanding with the bat and Chahar bowled disciplined lines. Both captains took the middle with a lot of criticism and much more weight to clinch a victory in the game. But the coin didn’t fall THALA’s way as they were made to bowl first.
Rahul and Agarwal began the run scoring competition as well as their race for the orange cap. It was Sam Curran who was thrashed that day as the opening partnership seamlessly crossed the team crossed 50 run mark together. Soon Agarwal perished looping one off Chawla and Mandeep Singh who came in place of Karun Nair, played a handy knock before he fell for the spin off Jadeja. With 94/2 in 12 overs, it was the duty of the settled Captain to make yet another bigger total in the company of Nicolas Pooran. Pooran slowly gained form and momentum as the swatted Bravo and Jadeja out of the park. Thakur made a double blow removing both the batsmen and the tail tapered as they reached a par score of 178/4.
The entire CSK’s line up was subject to scrutiny as they badly failed in chasing and their God man was not in the best of the form. In addition, they went unchanged to the match which infuriated the fans more. But all their disbelief was broken into shards as their main man Shane Watson found his form in the most crunching time. They turned the clock and made everybody witness the vintage Watson and Faf pair. The big daddys came with their golden axe to chop chop all the firings from their opponent’s canon. They cruised past their first barrier – the Powerplay – without losing any wicket collecting 60 runs. Both batsmen were set and it was their game from then on. Every bowler who came into the attack was made to run all around the park. Birthday boy Chris Jordan received a nice birthday bash and even the teenage spin sensation Ravi Bishnoi couldn’t control the massacre. They marched past Cottrell to reach the 100 run mark without the loss of any wicket. The fans would have been drowned in the yellow sea of love had they witnessed this assault live in their AnbuDen. They looked effortlessly fantastic when both of them reached their half century and from then they changed gears to finish the run chase in 17.4 overs with 10 wickets in hand. Daddys announced their return in magnificent manner and proved that CSK is no easy team to be looked past.
Here are some great records and takeaways from the game:
- Second highest chase : This was the second highest chase in IPL history without losing a wicket. Also CSK became the first chasing team to win on this ground in this season of IPL.
- Say it and Nail it : After the poor form of Vijay in the top of the order, he saw his place out of the team. With Watson under the radar next, he had to prove big time and Boy did he do it in style. He posted a tweet and nailed his place in the team.
- Kings remain positive : Despite 4 losses in 5 games, Kings XI Punjab still managed to hold positive NRR which shows how they have come close but weren’t able to see their team through successfully.
- Poor bowling combination: Punjab’s bowling attack looks extremely weak with Cottrell’s attack also being read by the batsmen. They do not have an impactful indian pacer. Also they wasted their overseas bowler quota by experimenting Jordan and Neesham. A team without the spin attack of Mujeeb looks very paltry. They have to replace Mujeeb with Jordan, the second indian spinner with an Indian pacer to perfectly fit in their slot. Also since they do not have a sixth bowler, they need to get their top 5 bowlers right.
- Dried up well : UAE is famous for two things. One is OilWell and another one is Maxwell. The latter seemed completely dried up and it’s high time they get in Chris Gayle to bolster their batting.